You’re locked up in the house all alone, bored and terribly missing your friends – that’s when the idea strikes you – to host a virtual party. But let’s admit it, playing hostess at your house parties was never a mean feat, let alone a virtual one that you’ll now have to figure out how to, courtesy of the Covid crises. But wait, don’t let that overwhelm you. We’ve done our research and we’ve listed down a few etiquettes you can follow to make your virtual event a full-on success. And don’t kick yourself for messing up a thing or two, if you do, because fortunately, everyone is new at navigating this new found way of hanging out. So here’s…
What to prepare?
– First of all, make sure you and all your friends are on one video calling platform. Apps such as House Party, Duo by Google and Zoom are your best bets.
– Then decide what kind of party you would like to have – a happy hour, a card party, a movie night or a games night etc.
– Then, you’ll need to prepare a cool e-invite for your party which will have the time that the party starts, the things that they all need to bring, the theme of the party if any and most importantly, the link of the event.
– This said, make sure you don’t over-invite people as you’ll also want to have meaningful conversations during the party, so for this one, it will only have to be your closest confidantes.
– Luckily for you, these virtual parties don’t require a set menu, so you can happily let your reigns loose on the F&B section. Let the guests take a call on this one.
– Since you’re the host, make sure you have a strong and stable Wi-Fi connection. You don’t want to be left out of your own party, do you?
– The lighting also has to be taken care of, so that everyone is clearly visible and very much present.
What to wear?
– Why, dressing for the occasion is always a must, doesn’t matter if the occasion is a virtual or physical one! This will set the mood right and even act as an up lifter.
– If you’re going to have a theme for the party, then be mindful of everyone on your list having the outfits in their wardrobes. Themes like pretty in pajamas or Indian-wear only are some of the safest options.
– If the party is not going to follow any theme then bring out your sultriest slip dresses, going-out-tops or evening blazers to win at waist-up dressing. Don’t forget to accessorize with the most attention-grabbing add-ons.
– Pro-tip: Pretty hair pins, stackable necklaces and supersized hoops will never disappoint, even if you’re just in your pajamas.
What to do?
– Now that that you’ve got everyone together and got the conversation going, as a host, make sure everyone is involved and no one feels left out. Steer the conversation from time to time, as and when needed.
– It’s a virtual party and there’s bound to be times when too many people are talking at once and then there are awkward silences, so always have your plan B’s in place. For instance, you can list out a few topics that will be of mutual interest to discuss such as a book or a TV show.
– Games, games, games! – What is a party without these? Have a list of fun shot games or card games at the ready. The House Party app allows the participants to play various games online in real time.
– Just because it’s a virtual party, doesn’t mean you can completely skip on the décor. You don’t actually have to ready up your room, just pick from the fun backgrounds on these apps to spruce things up!
– Finally, know when to end the party so that no one has to make false quarantine excuses to duck out. Mention the end-time clearly on the invite to avoid confusion.